Wednesday, May 20, 2009

He Sees It …ALL!

When I was a wee little chap (and I really was little), all the kids in my neighborhood used to play Hide and Seek every evening after supper. The game would start out with me, my sister, my cousin, Linda and usually, the two kids from across the street. Before the darkness of the evening sent us all scurrying home, we would number 15 to 20 strong…all laughing and running to home base, trying not to be tagged and thus become the next seeker. I was the King at this game…I was wily, fast and so skinny; I could stand behind a pine tree and not be seen. Yes, those were the good old days.

Unfortunately, I carried that ability to hide into my early adult years as I learned to hide the truth of who I was and the sin that kept creeping into my life. I was quite good at projecting a wonderful, wholesome and loving demeanor toward others …all the while hiding deep and dark secrets of betrayal and dishonesty toward my family, my former wife and most of all, myself. I had convinced myself that what I was doing was okay in the light of my circumstances and surely, if kept hidden, it would not really hurt anyone…but in spite of all my efforts, the truth finally surfaced and I was left to deal with the terrible consequences of my actions. Try as I might to hide my behavior and its hideous ramifications from my Heavenly Father, I failed miserably to keep my ways and my actions from the Lord.

In fact, God’s righteous and divine word told me that GOD SEES IT ALL…as evidenced in Proverbs 5, verse 21- 23 that says, “For a man’s ways are before the Lord’s eyes, and He considers all his paths. A wicked man’s iniquities entrap him; he is entangled in the ropes of his own sin. He will die there because there is no instruction, and be lost because of his great stupidity.”

I was a fool like so many of the great Biblical characters that thought they could hide their sin from God…like Moses, after he killed the Egyptian… or David, after his adulterous affair with Uriah’s wife…or Jonah, as he fled God’s call to go to Ninevah…to name just a few. I thought that my sin could be hidden from the eyes of the Lord…that I could somehow cover over all the filth and degradation of a sinner’s wretched life…that I could hide from my very Creator who I was and the shame that filled my heart.

In truth, we all have done things in secret that we have kept from those we love…things we have hidden from the light of scrutiny and judgment. We have told ourselves the lie that if no one sees, then no one knows….but GOD SEES IT ALL!!!!

Again, His word says in Proverbs 15:3, “The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, observing the wicked and the good.”

What does God see today as He looks at your life? Are you counted among the wicked or the good? Is God astonished at your stupidity as you seek to untangle the ropes of sin that have imprisoned you and kept your from being the man or woman God has called you to be?

Today, remember that even though God sees it all….He is a God of second-chances! He is waiting for you to admit that you no longer want to hide from Him and His arms are open wide…run to Him, look into His loving eyes and ask for His forgiveness.

His eyes will light up at the very sight of His child... and His mercy and grace will wash over you as you bask in the glow of His love…. a child of the King who has nothing to hide.

Hidden in the arms of Jesus,
WPQ

No comments: