Thursday, October 29, 2009

GOD NEVER SLEEPS NOR SLUMBERS

I just returned from my early morning walk around my neighborhood and let me just say,

WOW!!!!! WHAT A GLORIOUS MORNING.

To see the changing of the trees as they shed summer’s green for fall’s foliage of red, yellow, orange and crimson is truly a sight to behold. I can just see our heavenly Father, with brush in hand and the earth as His canvas, making stroke after tireless stroke as He paints His masterpiece in the hills and valleys of our world.

There is a high ground in our neighborhood that allows you to look north and see the mountains in the Upstate and into North Carolina’s Blue Ridge chain. Even from this great distance, you can see the changing of the color guard as the mountains take on the palettes of fall. This morning, I was truly mesmerized by the crystal blue sky as it seemed to kiss the top of each mountain peak. Now, I have lived before, as many of you do now, in an area that was “vertically challenged” and each fall, I felt like something was missing …that somehow, fall was not truly fall (my favorite time of the year). It was the lack of those mountain peaks that left the fall experience somewhat diminished.

But not today….My heart seemed to sing and before I knew it my step had slowed and I was standing still, just taking in the sight of those mountains …stretching, straining toward Heaven and their Creator. It was then that I realized that even in the midst of all that is strangling our country and perplexing us on every side, there is peace to be found on the mountaintops.

God’s word says it best in Psalms 121:1-2, “I lift my eyes unto the hills. From where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.” But there’s even more comfort in the rest of the passage… “He will not let your foot be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day or the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.” Psalm 121:3-8.

The one who made those mountains is still in charge ….and He’s just waiting for us to turn from our wicked ways and acknowledge Him as Lord. God is ready to help; in fact, He’s already done His part ….the rest is up to you and me. Do we trust our God and His sovereignty in our lives or do we want to wear the crown and be the one in charge? That’s a question that we must answer everyday if we truly want to know the “peace that passes all understanding.”

I am so thankful for my walk this morning….it allowed me a glimpse of God’s majesty and it calmed my trouble soul. Those “hills” will be etched in my mind as I look to my Lord and Savior for his direction today….I trust and pray that you too will find that peace that only God can give and you will know that our God never sleeps….God Never Slumbers….HE IS ALWAYS ON CALL…..JUST A PRAYER AWAY !

Living Large in His Family,
WPQ

No comments: