Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What Scares You?

In just a few short days, my seasonal job as the lead assistant golf professional at the Cullasaja Club in Highlands, NC will come to an end and I will be returning home ….and to unemployment.

Now, part of me wants to rejoice since I will get to see my beautiful wife each day and sleep in my own bed each night; however, part of me is remorseful as I leave new friends and a caring membership behind…and did I mention, UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!!

During the entire year of 2009, I was unemployed and I got to spend time taking care of my family, writing my blog and other special pieces and preparing to teach my Sunday School class each week. It was indeed a blessing that I did not take for granted. But, now that I have been gainfully employed for the past seven months and receiving a steady, albeit, small paycheck, I will admit to being a little “frightened” with the possibilities that lie ahead.

Maybe, you find yourself in a similar predicament and might admit to the same feelings that have been aroused in me. So, in the spirit of this Halloween season, I am drawn to ask this simple question…..WHAT SCARES YOU?

Now, I don’t mean ghosts and goblins and ghouls…rather, what is happening in this world and in your world that has you feeling inadequate and possibly frightened with what lies ahead in the days to come?

Is it unemployment….stock market crash…terrorists….war….famine….nuclear weapons that fall into the hands of Islamic extremists……divorce….broken family ties…..death and the life after…..I could go on and on; but, you get my point.

There is much that can upset us and frighten us …..Much that can make us want to lock ourselves behind strong doors and wait for the Lord’s return; but Scripture tells us in 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”

Next week, upon my return to the ranks of the unemployed, I will be writing a series of devotions based on the best-selling book of Dr. David Jeremiah entitled, “How to Live Confidently in a Chaotic World.” In this 5 part series, we will look at the things in life that might cause us consternation and then see what God’s word has to say regarding our ability to move out and into this world as confident Christians….I hope you will join me as we begin to refute those things that would scare us and replace that fear with power that comes from knowing the God of the Universe….

Looking confidently forward …forgetting the forgiven past,

WPQ

No comments: