Thursday, April 13, 2017

The following is an excerpt from a new book soon to be released by W. Patrick Queen, entitled,
THE JOURNEY OF JESUS...As Told by Those He Meet Along the Way!


Reuben ….Rebel of conviction

I have been dreading this day and yet, knowing that it was inevitable, it gave me a sense of strength and purpose. Killing that Roman guard after what he did to my mother and my sister…well, he got what he deserved…and now, according to Roman law, I will get what I deserve. But, this man, Jesus? I can’t believe that he is hanging next to me? What crime are they punishing him for….healing the sick, making the lame to walk or the blind to see? My death; I get it! And I would do it over again to avenge my mother and sister. But why Jesus? I heard their accusations; watched as Pilate had him beaten beyond recognition, then washed his hands of this whole fiasco. And these religious hypocrites clamoring for him to be crucified…they should be the ones hanging next to me, not Jesus. Even now, they scoff at him and beg the soldiers to take now the sign hung there by orders from Pilate…”Jesus the Nazarene, the King of the Jews.” The soldiers have stripped him naked and cast lots for his purple robe and yet, I heard him say, “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing.”

Who is this man that even on this cruel cross he pleads for those that would kill him? And you….you vile serpent ….you are getting just what you deserve…a sentence to death and damnation….do not mock this man. For He is innocent and does not deserve the same fate as you and I. Would you mock God and fear Him not? Leave him alone and let him die without the haunting screech of a condemned man ringing in his ears….but King Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom and do not count my sins against me. And then He did the unthinkable; he raised himself upon the nail and looked at me with his loving eyes and said, “It will be so. Today, you will be with me in paradise.”

By now, it was near noon and I was beginning to lose some of my strength and my will to live was beginning to falter. The sky began to darken and it became like night…the sun seemed blotted from the sky. The women at the foot of Jesus’ cross kept reaching up to touch Him as they held on to each other, sobbing and calling out for God to save His Son. Then, as the darkness seemed to deepen, Jesus called out in a voice that shook the heavens above and made the foundations of the earth quake. He cried out, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” The sky grew darker still and the heavens opened up with torrential rain. The rocks seemed to split open as the whole earth shook. Then he shouted again, “Father, It is finished! Into your hands I commit my spirit.”

And in that last breath, He was gone. I heard the centurion who had stood guard at His feet, turn and tell all those who were still there, “Surely this man was the Son of God.” Then I turned and looked away…. for I, a guilty, sinful man, was not worthy to gaze upon the Son of God.

Maybe, today as you read this confession of the criminal that hung beside Jesus there on Golgotha's hill, you know that like him, YOU ARE GUILTY OF CRIMES AGAINST A HOLY AND RIGHTEOUS GOD...and God Almighty says that such crimes are punishable by death, utter destruction and an eternity spent forever in a place called HELL. But praise be to our Heavenly Father that loved us so much that He drove the nails in His own Son's hands and feet so that His sacrifice on the cross would pay our debt and set us free to once again become the sons and daughters of the living God...and that is the story of Easter and the crucifixion ...JESUS DIED FOR YOU AND ME SO THAT WE MIGHT BECOME HOLY AND ACCEPTABLE TO OUR HEAVENLY FATHER THROUGH WHAT HE ENDURED ON THE CROSS...but there is more to the rest of this story.

Blessed to be a child of the King...living in the Resurrected Glory of the Son,


WPQ

No comments: