Thursday, May 3, 2018

PARENTING A WAYWARD CHILD....


I know that in today's tumultuous times, there has been many a parent that has struggled in the parenting of their children. Some children are just rebellious and unruly; others have children that are sullen and morose; some deal with children that suffer from maladies that involve their mental capabilities...but for most of us, at one point or another, we all have to deal with a wayward child. In fact, if truth be told, we once were that wayward child.

Why touch on such a topic? Well, yesterday, my wife and our daughter spent the day with my mother-in-law, Betty, celebrating her 90th birthday...and from all accounts, it was a wonderful celebration. But if we were to retrace the steps of my wife's life, she would be the first to admit that for a elongated period of her life, she was a wayward child.

Now, I am not going into any of the details, that's not my place to divulge my wife's misdeeds in her younger years; however, I will tell you what she has told me and that was she put her parents through ______  and some very rough times in her early adult years. In fact, I am sure that her parents lay awake many nights asking themselves where they went wrong in raising this child.

Maybe, you have been there or are there with a child of yours? You just can't understand what is driving them to make such terrible life choices and no matter what you say or do, they seem bent on their own self-destruction. Jesus spoke of such a child in his parable (although it may have been a true life story of someone He knew) of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15 when one young son demanded that his father give his share of the fortune so that he could live life on his own terms...and we all know how that usually turns out.

After months of riotous living and exhausting all of his monies, he was down to working in the mud pits with the swine, not a great place for a Jewish boy to spend his time. Scripture says, But when he came to himself (which is to say he came to his senses, my explanation), he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him." Luke 15:17-20

Maybe that's where you are today with one of your children...just waiting for them to come to their senses and revert back to the wonderful upbringing that you gave them. You are longing for them to get their "act together" and start living for the Lord and not wasting their time, talents and abilities on the foolishness of this world. So let me share this, look at what the father in our story did...he did not send out the servants to find his son and have them drag him back home nor did he write off his wayward offspring as a no-good, dirty scoundrel that would never amount to anything...he did what he could; he waited (and prayed) for his son and keep a diligent eye on the road home, so that one day, when his son came down that road, he would be there waiting with open arms and a love that had never wavered.

My wife made that journey so many years ago and found two loving parents waiting with open arms, ready to let the past go and move forward into a better and brighter future. I have no doubt that what my wife experienced in her life with her parents helped her to be the BEST MOM EVER to our daughter.

Don't let anger and disappointment cloud your vision as you look down that ready, waiting for the return of your wayward child....They are only a prayer away from home!

Loved by the Father...Ready to held in His loving arms,
WPQ

Poem for the Day....
If you have a wayward child,
Often unruly or sometimes wild;
The best that you can do each day
Lift them up as you pray....

'Father watch over this child of mine
And with your Spirit indwell divine.
Bring them home, safe and sound
And in your will, may they be found.

WPQ © May2018


No comments: