Friday, March 29, 2024

At the Foot of the Cross

The road known as the Via Dolorosa now looms imminent for Jesus. The Roman guards have beaten Him, spat upon Him, slapping Him in the face as they mocked Him; adorned Him with a crown of thorns and a purple robe. It is now 9 A.M. and Jesus has been nailed to the cross. The Romans did not invent the cross, but they made it the most excruciating and painful way to die ever invented in the history of mankind. The crucifixion took place on Golgotha's Hill, just outside the city, so all who passed by one the way into the city had to view this horrible scene. And there at the foot of the cross was....

Mary…..The Mother of Woe

I stand here at the foot of this hill to see my son, my firstborn hanging on this cruel cross and my heart is torn from my body. It only seems like days ago that I birthed him on that blessed evening, the cattle lowing in the background as I laid him in that manger. I knew he was Heaven’s child as I held him in my arms and sang a mother’s lullaby. Oh, how my heart leapt for joy as Joseph and I stood over our son and prayed for God’s blessing and faithfulness. As I nursed and nurtured him, he grew into a strong and well-mannered child. I still remember the visit from the Magi with their precious gifts, our trips to the synagogue for his Bar Mitzvah and the Passover sacrifices. I remember the panic I felt when we could not find him for three days …and the look of peace and serenity on his face when he told us that he must be about His Father’s business. Though puzzled by his remark, I was so happy to have my precious Jesus in my arms again that I even failed to scold him. Even now, as he labors to breathe, his thoughts and concerns are for me…to give me to his beloved friend, John, so that I may be cared for in the days that are left for me. He told me, so many times, that this day would come…a day when sinful, deceitful men would triumph and he would give his life as a ransom for many….and for me….my Jesus….my son….my Messiah. (An excerpt from THE JOURNEY OF JESUS...As Told by Those He Touched Along the Way by W. Patrick Queen)

Please be sure to read the post that follows as we meet the criminals that were crucified with Jesus...one on the right and one on the left.....and Christ was the man in the middle.

No comments: