Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Enlarging Your Territory

In a chapter in the Old Testament where the writer is listing the descendants of Judah, there is a brief mention of one of Judah’s relatives…a man by the name of Jabez. In I Chronicles 4:9-10, we read,

“Jabez was more honorable than his brothers; and his mother called his name Jabez, saying “Because I bore him in pain.” Jabez called upon the name of the God of Israel, saying. “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory, and that your hand would be with me and that you would keep me from evil so that it might not bring me pain. And God granted what he asked.” (English Standard Version)

Did you catch that last part…..God granted his request!!! Why was this man so special in the eyes of God? How can we achieve that same dominion in the eyes of our Creator?

Well, first, he was an honorable man…more honorable than any of his brothers and most likely, more honorable than anyone in the surrounding community. He must have understood what God required of him and was a very responsible and considerate person. He truly sought to serve the Lord and to honor him in everything he did….thus, the reason for the first part of his bold request… God’s blessing of enlarging his territory.

He knew that God would not give him more if he were not thankful for that which he already had. Also, how could God entrust him with more if he were not already a good and faithful steward of the blessings that were currently his. The only reason God will enlarge a person’s territory is if He believes that person will use it responsibly to bring glory to God and to enlarge the Kingdom of the Most High.

So, if you’ve been petitioning our heavenly Father for greater blessings and a larger, more fruitful territory ….the question is quite simple…..ARE YOU BRINGING HONOR TO GOD IN ALL YOU DO?

Before you move on to greater endeavors for the Lord, you might want to stop and ask your self these questions ….

Am I bringing honor to my God through my words and my deeds?
Am I causing pain…harm…promoting evil in my relationships?
Am I thankful for the blessings that I have already received?
Am I using the resources that I currently have to expand the work of the Lord?
Am I responsible for my actions and their results?
Am I using my influence to bring others to Christ?

Take some real, quality time to search your soul as you answer these questions….and if you believe that you can answer in the affirmative in all these areas, then, you can precede with the final part of the prayer of Jabez….for a life that is free from pain.

In fact, in all my studies in the Bible, I do not recall anyone else who was spared the pains of life…save this one ordinary man with his extraordinary prayer….

So …..Pray the prayer of this humble man …live as he lived before his God ….and you too may live a life of enlarged territories …full of blessings and free from harm.

Expanding the Kingdom…living for the Lord,
WPQ

No comments: