Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Condition of Your Soil?

Riding through the countryside of South Carolina a few years back, I noticed that the first rite of spring had begun. As I looked across field after field of newly turned sod, it reminded me of my childhood days and the work of my Dad’s Merry Tiller.

Every other spring, our large back yard was converted from a neighborhood ball field into a very large and productive garden. It all began with my Dad, who after working all day, would come home to work behind the tiller, over turning the dark earth in to ball- sized dirt clods. It was my job to take the hoe and break the clods down into plant worthy soil.

Dad explained to me how necessary my job was….that in each dirt clod, there laid nutrients and other minerals that would be needed in growing our vegetables. These nutrients were trapped and it was my job to release them by breaking them up. I worked for days, chopping and beating the clods, until, at last, there lay before me a field, ready for planting. We then began to meticulously furrow each row and make preparation for the seed. This whole process usually took a couple of weeks…it sure seemed like a lot of work to an eight year old; but, when I saw those tiny corn shoots, the rows and rows of beans and squash and the great big smile on my Dad’s face, it was worth it all.

Our hearts are like that soil….waiting to be overturned and prepared for the planting and the harvest that follows.

Matthew 13 tells of the sower and the condition of the soil as we read, “A sower went out to sow.  As he sowed, some seed fell along the path and the birds came and devoured it. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil; but when the sun rose they were scorched. Since they had no root, they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears, let him hear.” Matthew 13:3-9

What’s the condition of your soil…and you soul today? Is it fertile ground, ready and receptive to the word of God? Or is it overturned sod that is still rocky and clod-like?

Maybe, you need the work of the Holy Spirit to prepare your soil…to break apart those clods of indifference and release the nutrients of peace, harmony, patience and love. You need to surrender to the great Gardner and let him have his way with you soil….and your soul.

Why not pray this simple prayer today and ask the Holy Spirit to use whatever tool is necessary to prepare your heart for the planting of God’s word in your heart, body, mind and soul….Ask him to prepare your soil so that your harvest will be a hundredfold of good works for the glory of our great and awesome God.

Father, today let the work of your Holy Spirit prepare my heart for service. Let all I do bring honor to your name. May your word permeate the soil that is my heart and grow in me those qualities that produce a life that is pleasing in your sight. Amen

Tilling for the Kingdom,

WPQ

Thought for the Day:
If for the Son you seek to work
To plant God's precious seed.
The you must till the fertile soil
And be prepared to meet each need.

To share with those who need to know
For God gave His only Son…
And left behind those who believe
To harvest what He has done.

No comments: