Wednesday, June 24, 2015

ESSENCE OF MY DAD

I wrote what follows some 7 years ago and it definitely bears repeating and reading…even if it's a week late in coming to Salt & Light…I pray that you and your father will both be blessed.


Well, it's that time again; the fifth leading card sales day of the year, FATHER'S DAY!
A day set aside to honor that guy that takes out the trash, looks under the bed to chase away the monsters and tells the best bedtime stories ever. He works hard to support his family and hardly ever complains....and when no one else will give you a lift, he's always there to pick you up or lend a shoulder to cry on...to hoist you high in the air in victory or take you for a "consolation" ice cream to ease the pain of defeat. He's your DAD....and if you were blessed as I was, this Sunday make sure that you let your Dad know how much you love, honor and respect him.

In high school and my first year in college, I had a morning paper route that involved delivering over 600 daily papers to the door of each of my customers. Every morning for over three years, my dad got up with me and helped me with my route. He never took a penny for it...and we used his car and gas; and during two summers that I was on tour with the Campus Americans, he hired a kid from the neighborhood to help him carry the route in my absence....that was the essence of my DAD. Tireless, selfless, humble....and always willing to do or go or help in any way that made a difference for the good of all.
I know that not everyone had or has a Dad like mine, and even though he has been home in heaven for the past 30+ years, there is not a day that I don't miss him and thank God for the influence he had on shaping me into the father I am today. I know that I have not been all that I could have been, but I know that my Dad would be proud of the man he raised me to be. I was fortunate that in 1977, I took the time to write a special poem for my Dad that I framed and gave to him for Father's Day that expressed my love and admiration for him. It was only 6 years later that he passed away. I will never forget that night at the funeral home when I tucked a copy of this poem in his breast pocket and sent him home to our Heavenly Father. I know he's been keeping tabs on me since then and I hope and pray that every now and then, he turns to one of the angels and says, "Did ya see that...THAT'S MY BOY ...I'M SO PROUD OF HIM!!!!"

I hope and pray that this weekend you'll take the time to tell your DAD just how much he means to you .....because there are no guarantees for tomorrow. In fact, here's the poem I wrote for my Dad....enjoy; and let it get the "ole grey matter" bubbling with the things that you need to say to your DAD...you'll both be glad you did!

ESSENCE OF MY DAD

Often, I have stopped to think
of times both good and bad;
And in each fleeting memory,
I reverence my Dad.

He stood both tall and straight,
colossal in my mind.
He spoke in tones both harsh and firm,
Yet so gentle and so kind.

An unquenchable desire for life;
a special zest for its living;
He fought and scraped to provide for me
Through his unselfish giving.

A guiding hand he led my steps
down paths I dared not tread,
A steady mind, a sturdy back were the
Essence of my Dad.

A willful man, his beliefs ran deep;
he taught me to be good;
Yet, when times got rough or I failed my Dad,
He always understood.

So surely on the day he passes, I truly will be sad,
But never will I forget the man,
I loved and called...My Dad


 W. Patrick Queen @ 1977






No comments: