Friday, December 21, 2018

Day 8...The 12 Days of Christmas Praise!


If you know of someone who is serving in our military and will be away from their family this Christmas, please share this with them and their family so they will know that we are praying for their safe return....so they can be Home for Christmas!


Come Home for Christmas

It seems like many years ago that you went away
I was just a tiny tot that loved to run and play
But, Mom says that it was only about a year ago
When you were called to go to war…my, but time is slow.

I can’t believe that its time for Christmas once again
And you’re not here to celebrate with our family and friends;
To lift me on your shoulders; to place the star upon the tree;
To bounce me up and down on a bronco-buckin’ knee.

Today, we climbed into the attic with spiders, bugs and such
And Mom said I was really brave for helping out so much.
We gathered all the boxes of lights and Christmas stuff …
And my floppy-eared old hound dog that you named, “Ruff.”

Grandpop carried down the tree in that dusty old trash bag
And Mom started cleaning with her trusty dusting rag…
But, I was very quiet as I fought back all my tears
‘Cause you’re not coming home for Christmas again this year.

Now, I know that you told me that I must try hard to be brave
‘Cause there were other kids like me that you had to save;
You had to go and fight in a war where men would die....
So I promised to be brave and do my best not to cry.

Daddy, I’ve been trying to do just as you ask;
So I could kneel at my bedside with one simple task.
To pray that Jesus would keep you out of harm’s way
So He could send you home to us before Christmas Day.

Yes, I made this promise that I’m trying to keep;
That’s to pray for you every night until I fall asleep.
So I’ll obey all the grownups and do just what they say,
If Jesus will bring you back to us before Christmas Day.

I promise that I will be brave and not cry at all
If God will help my daddy and his men to stand tall;
To fight for all our freedoms and our American way
And let Daddy come home to us to celebrate Christmas day.

I won’t ask Santa for anything, even though I’ve been great,
If you’ll bring Daddy home to us not one minute late…
And so, dear God, can I make one more request of you?
Please let all the other daddies come home for Christmas, too!

W. Patrick Queen
 November 2009

No comments: