Friday, January 24, 2020

How's Your Plan Working?


I had one of those milestone birthdays last year and was reminded of that yesterday when my beautiful wife of 30 years told me that I would not have to begin taking withdrawals from my IRA account at age 70.5....a date that is just a few short weeks away. There's some kind of new law that was enacted so that the withdrawal age is now 72.

I say all that to say this got me thinking...what is the summation of my life and the plans that I made as a younger man? You see, at the tender age of twelve, I heard the call from God to become a Baptist pastor. In fact, from that time until age 19, my plan was set...go to college, then seminary and then become a pastor and preacher of my faith; however, that summer of my 19th birthday, I was working in the Youth For Christ ministry in Charlotte. We set about to develop a ministry outreach to troubled youth in our community and I was placed in charge. I went about Charlotte, talking to wealthy  "believers", raised $1000 and took 10 young boys, ages 12-15 to a two week summer camp. It was there, we poured ourselves into these young men with activity and the daily presentation of the Gospel; by the end of camp, 7 of these boys had accepted Christ as their personal Savior. Since that was just their first step into the "faith", I continued to spend time with them on a weekly basis throughout the summer, playing sports and studying the Bible together. During this special time with these young men,  I began to realize that I had a tender heart for these "troubled lads" and my commitment to becoming a pastor began to wane. So,  I looked for opportunities to study child psychology and prepare myself to work with troubled teens. I changed my major and dived headlong into what I believed was my "new and improved" calling; but before I could travel very far on this path, I had dropped out of college; got re-classified 1-A in the military draft and then joined the Navy as Reservist with a 6 year commitment. My how life and my PLANS had changed!

And as life seems to do to a lot of us, by the time I finished my Naval service and returned home to Charlotte to re-engage myself in pursuit of a college education, my plans did not include becoming a pastor, working with troubled teens or anything else that would resemble a "higher" calling...I had made my plans all about...ME!!!!

FAST FORWARD ALMOST FIFTY YEARS....and I can tell you the Bible tells us in Jeremiah 29: 11, " For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." I can also affirm that every time I read this passage, I am reminded that God has a better plan....always has and always will! I know that though I missed the path that God had planned for me as a young boy, no matter where I went or how far I might have strayed, God was always at work directing and guiding me back to a place of impact in the lives I have encountered in my journey of life.

Did I ever become that pastor that I was called to be? No...but I have had so many countless opportunities to share my faith over these many years... from the pulpit in many churches to the podium at my Rotary Club; from a stage with 5000 teenagers in attendance at a YFC Rally in Winona Lake, Indiana to a music hall in Hiawassee, Georgia (with over 2000 Relay for Life attendees)  as my beautiful 7 year old daughter sang the song by Mark Schultz, He's My Son.

But the best part of my reflection of how God took a broken set of plans and made something that He could use for my good and His Glory is found in another verse in our Jeremiah passage, where God says to all who seek to know Him and fit into His will....

"  You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."

So, how are your plans working out? Did you start on a journey to be something or someone that God called you to be? Did life knock you off course or just plain blow up all the things that you were going to accomplish....and now, when you look across the landscape of who you are and what you have done, does it look like a battlefield that contains no survivors...scared, scorched and desolate?  Or perhaps, it's not all that bad, considering you gave it your best shot?

Here's the good news....GOD'S NOT DONE WITH YOU YET....HE STILL HAS A PLAN AND HE CAN AND WILL BRING IT TO FRUITION....He just needs one thing;

YOUR WILLING HEART... SURRENDED TO HIM!!!!

So, my final question....Are you ready to let go and LET GOD?  If so, the rocket is on the launch pad, the countdown has begun and lift off is imminent....God promises you two things from today's passage...

Plans for a future that is filled with peace and hope ....and...
You will find Him when you search for Him with your whole heart.

Wait! One more question...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Failed in my plans...holding tight to God's Plan,

WPQ

Poem for the day....

When we're small as children
And asked what we will be
If we only had a crystal ball
To see what we shall see;

We might become a fireman
Or a singer in a band;
But I have found it's best to wait
And see what God holds in His hand.

For with our small and puny minds
We simply cannot comprehend...
That God has sent for us a plan;
A life that never ends!

So seek the Father's will today
And in His bosom rest;
He'll give you peace, hope and love
Because His plans are the BEST!!!!

WPQ © January 2020



No comments: