Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Honoring our Veterans on Their Special Day!

 

During the time that our 5 year old daughter battled a childhood cancer, I wrote a little book entitled, Bent ...but not Broken! A Family's Victory Over Cancer Through the Grace of God!

From that small beginning, my wife, Terri, and I began a small cottage business that we later named THANKFUL PRAISE PRINTS.  For 6+ years, we took poetry that I wrote and Terri, along with a couple of wonderful local artist, would illustrate the poems. We would then print, frame and sell what we called PoeticArt to over 600 accounts nationwide. One of the many poems I wrote had to do with our service people...Police, Fire, EMT, Nurses and of course our servicemen in the Armed Forces. One of my favorite poems was A VETERAN'S SONG...a poem with which we sold and shared with many a funeral home that used this framed poem in Memorial services and then gave to the family of the deceased Veteran.  I am a  Veteran myself,  after serving on active duty in the Navy for two years and then another 6 years as a Reservist. It was a couple of years ago that I found this poem in my files and added a verse or two...it is my joy to share this today as we mark another November 11th...a day we pause to salute all those men and women who held this country and what it stands for in their highest regard and promised to defend it against all enemies, foreign or domestic...it was a pledge to give their life if so needed to ensure that we could live as a free people, bound together with love for our country, our flag and the ideals that draw us all together as one people in the LAND OF THE FREE and the HOME OF THE BRAVE.

SO FOR EVERY VETERAN THAT HAS PROUDLY WORN THE UNIFORM OF SERVICE TO GOD AND COUNTRY ...this poem is for YOU!!!!

 

Veteran's Song

I signed a piece of paper;

I took an oath as well.

I promised to serve my country...

'Tis a mission I could not fail!

I banded with my comrades

So together, in might, we stand,

In defending this Great Nation...

This bright and promised land.

For I have done my duty

I have sacrificed for all.

And now Sweet Liberty can stand

Forever...proud and tall.

So when our days are over

And the bugles sound no more

May those who stand beside us

And gaze toward Heaven's shore...

May they know that we gave freely

Without hesitation.... without fear!

For we gladly served unselfishly

To protect this life we hold so dear!

 

WPQ © September 2018

No comments: