Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Choice is Yours

There are not many things in life in which we can control totally…few things in which sole ownership is truly ours and ours alone…..but each morning, before your feet hit the floor and your day begins, you have the sole opportunity to make a monumental decision that is yours and ONLY yours. You can decide what kind of day it’s going to be….A GOOD DAY OR A BAD DAY….THE CHOICE IS UP TO YOU!

Sure, there will be bad breaks; obstacles to overcome; nasty, grumpy, even mean people….but regardless of these “circumstances”; your attitude is up to you. Now, this is not a matter of just seeing “the glass as half-empty/half-full.” It’s a full blown opportunity to decide if you are going to face the day with a smile on your face and a spring in your step…regardless of what comes your way…or if you are going to frown and moan about your pitiful lot in life and how the whole world is out to get you.

We all know those kinds of folks…..they would complain if they won the lottery… ‘Cause now their tax brackets changed and they’ve got to decide whether to take lump sum cash or defer to monthly installments. My, but life can be so unfair!

Why not take the attitude of the psalmist who wrote, “This is the day that the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalms118:24 …and that’s so much easier to do if we continue in his thought in this same passage, “You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God, and I will extol you. Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for his steadfast love endures forever.” Psalms 118:28-29.

When we see the day as through the psalmists’ eyes, we know that the day is the Lord’s…GOOD, BAD or INDIFFERENT…. It is a gift from Him….and if we approach it with thanksgiving and praise for the one who loves us and sent His Son to redeem us….WE WILL KNOW HIS BLESSING IN EVERY ENCOUNTER.

I share the following story to illustrate:

It seems there was an older gentleman of 92 years of age who had just recently lost his wife of 70 years. Now, alone and unable to care for himself, he was being placed in a retirement center to live out his remaining days. As he sat quietly in the waiting room of the home for several hours, the staff made the necessary arrangements to prepare his room. Eventually, the director came and took him by the arm and began to lead him down the hall to his room.

As she began to describe the room and the sheet that hung over the small window, the older gentleman remarked that he liked his room very much.Startled, she replied, “How can that be? You haven’t seen it yet!”

Without missing a step, he quietly replied, “That has nothing to do with it. Happiness is something I choose in advance. Whether I like the décor or the furniture doesn’t matter; what matters is how I decide to see it….and I have already decided in my mind that I like my room.”

“I can choose. I can make that decision every morning to lie in bed enumerating all the body parts that don’t work so well anymore or I can thank heaven for all the parts that are still working. Each day is a gift and as long as I can open my eyes each morning, I will focus on that new day and give thanks for it ….and all the memories I have made along the way.”


Where’s your focus today?

Why not follow these simple steps to a better day and a better life…

FREE YOUR HEART FROM HATE

FREE YOUR MIND FROM WORRY

LIVE SIMPLE

GIVE MORE

EXPECT LESS….. and most of all.....

PRAISE HIM FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!!!!!

Blessed each day…seeking to pass it on,
WPQ


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

There is no way you can be blue
When you think of the depth of God’s love for you;
He gave his Son, His most precious gift…
Now that will give your heart a lift.

Have a Blessed Day in the Lord
!

No comments: