Monday, September 8, 2008

To Be Known....?

Knowing and being known….it is on of the great conundrums of our lives. We seek anonymity when the risks are too high, yet long for the spotlight so we can “strut our stuff.” We shrink from responsibility when the costs are more than we deem appropriate, yet we long to hear the roar of the crowd when we have often accomplished little at all.

This ebb and flow of life’s battle for recognition is fought everyday in the life of Christians, especially here in America. It was not that many years ago (even in my lifetime) when Christians were revered for who they were and the stances they took in adhering to their faith. Unfortunately, those days are long gone ….except for our memories. We no longer command or demand the respect that is due the faithful discipleship that our Lord requires. We hide in great numbers in the secular marketplace, often afraid that our faith will be called into question and we will have to “put up or shut up.” We are called Christians, but in the court of public opinion, there is often not enough evidence of who we are in Christ to even infer that we belong to Him.

Scripture says, “Now, little children, abide in Him, so when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at His coming” 1John 2:28. John continues in chapter 3 by saying, “See what kind of love the Father has given to us that we may be called children of God; and so we are. Beloved, we are God’s children now and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when He appears, WE SHALL BE LIKE HIM….because we shall see Him as he is.” 1 John 3: 1a & 2

I don’t know about you, but I long to be like Jesus…to see Him as He is and to walk in His footprints, to model my life to be in constant communion with the Father and to know that my will is His will. I long for the spotlight that reflects the glory of the Son. I want to seek out the lost and tell them that I am a child of God and let them know there’s still room in the family for more….God’s door is ALWAYS open to a repentant heart.

But most of all….I want God to be pleased that I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ….for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes and is called to stand up and to stand out for Christ.

Are you known by the company you keep…….JESUS CHRIST, INCORPORATED.

If so, pick up you name badge at the office and I’ll see you on the job!

God’s recruitment director,
WPQ



Today’s thought is a poem entitled:


Christians
By Maya Angelou

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow!

No comments: