Monday, July 4, 2016

                                    The Tale of the Talents

Long ago, in Biblical times, Christ taught lessons to the meek
The story plain for all to see, but, the meaning you had to seek.
So, listen to this story, with heart attentively;
The story of the servants and the talents of the three.

Now, the master was a busy man, a journey he had to make
So, he called together his servants; their instructions to take.
To the first he handed five talents; to the next he gave two;
To the last he gave one and then with the giving, he was through.

The first with five thought to himself, how he must spend his day
Taking part in opportunities that were sure to pass his way.
With hard work and diligence and a special thought in mind,
It wasn't long before this man had five more of like kind.

The man with two did likewise, too, as did his friend before;
And before the day had ended, his two had increased to four.
But, whoa be to the man with one...What do you think he did?
He took the talent given him and in the ground he hid.

By and by, as time did fly, through feast or small disaster,
It soon came time for judgment day, at the return of their master.
The master called his servant and said to each alone...
"Come and show your love for me by the seeds that you have sown."
The one with five said, "Look, my Lord, I now have earned you ten."
"Great job, my friend, rejoice with me...go and do again!"

The one with two said "Lord, I do, praise you forevermore."
Though given two, my faith in you, increased mine to four.
But the man with one his head now hung, with sorrow in his eyes.
He looked up at his master and this was his reply...

"I know you are a cautious man, reaping where you can;
So, I went and hid my talent in the moist and earthen sand.
And here it is, my master, just what belongs to you.
I kept it safe from earthly thieves; it was the least that I could do.”

The master was disheartened; a hush fell across the room.
A sad despair impaired those there like a thickening cloud of gloom.
"Depart from me, you lazy man. Cast him out into the night.
You had the chance to show your love; your chance to spread God's light.”

So, dear friends, don't be like him, don't waste the talents given.
Remember this poor servant and his transgressions not forgiven.
For God expects for everyone to use their talents for His glory.
And if you read between the lines,
Then you know the message of this story.

by
W. Patrick Queen
copyrighted  June 2008


No comments: