Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Are you a Bargainer with God?

It wasn't that long ago that I sat down to view one of my favorite TV shows, NCIS, but about midway through, I became a little peeved with the writers and directors.

There was a scene where Tony Denosoe, one of the NCIS federal agents finds himself alone in the chapel on the Navy base. He starts down the aisle of the chapel carrying on a flippant conversation with the "BIG GUY” regarding his lack of staying in touch (Tony’s been SOOOOO busy) as he continues to plead his case that “he is doing the best he can down here.” Now, here’s where I  wanted to plant my size nine squarely on Tony’s posterior region. He matter-of-factly queries God to see if God still intends to hold up his end of a bargain that Tony had made with him on a previous tough occasion…..of all the unmitigated gall.

He’s made a “deal” with God and he wants to know if God can deliver …or I guess through the implication; then if not, the deal is off!

I was perturbed on so many fronts, I really don’t know where to start….first with the writers who once again have chosen to represent  God as a giant genie in a bottle…we rub it and our wish is his command,

Secondly… the only way to get something from God is to promise Him something in return….like we have anything that God wants, needs or can’t get or do for himself.

Thirdly….if you believe in God and trust in Him, you must be a moron. Besides, how can you believe that God is really going to keep his end of any bargain that you might make with Him?

Once again, those that bring us entertainment think that God or even the concept of an Almighty being is just to ludicrous for words…so they paint Him and all of those who might profess to follow Him as idiots….and then, it hit me as the words of Christ rang true in my head and then my heart…”You have heard it said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you that you may be the sons of your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:43-44

Although the above scene left me feeling anything other than loving or forgiving for the blasphemous way in which our God was portrayed, I must admit Tony’s diatribe with the Father set me to thinking…do I bargain with God in order to somehow try and influence His answers to my petitions….have I made some vows or promises that I have failed to keep in my daily walk with the Lord….do I hold back my obedience to His will waiting to see if God comes through as He has promised in His Word?

So, let me be honest and admit that this show got me to thinking about two very important issues for me as a Christian……am I loving those that persecute me because I am a follower of Christ and eager to display my heritage as one of God’s chosen…. or am I all too eager to give them a swift kick in the pants as punishment for their treatment of me?

And, when given the opportunity to petition God for an answer to my needs, do I put myself in the position as a “deal maker” or a “faithful follower”?

Two pretty serious questions that definitely bear some more self scrutiny…and prayerful consideration in the light of God’s Word.

Holding to His Truth….Loving as He Loves,

WPQ

Poem for the Day:

May I faithfully follow you, O Lord;
In your service make my spirit meek…
And when others put me down, O Lord
May I turn the other cheek?

May I show your heavenly love, O Lord
And never doubt your caring ways;
May all who I encounter Lord
Be filled with joy and praise.


WPQ 2011

Need another word of encouragement?...www.thankfulpraiseministries.com

No comments: