Friday, May 22, 2015

GETTING GROUNDED

This past Sunday, our pastor preached a very stirring sermon revolving around John 5:39 …he said, “Search the Scriptures.” Now, those three simple words led me to believe that we might be in for an early dismissal, but I was sorely wrong. It was during the next 35 minutes or so (I truly lost track of the time) that he went on to explain that we should not go to the Bible just to find solutions, but rather to find the Savior…and there to daily, moment by moment, grow in our walk with the Lord. He asked for a show of hands of those who might be somewhat overwhelmed with the daunting task of reading, interpreting and understanding the Scriptures. I must admit, I did NOT raise my hand…not that I am any kind of spiritual giant, but rather, I relish the time that I spend searching, discovering, exploring and uncovering some “gem” or “nugget” of truth that God has left sprinkled within the pages of His Holy Word. Left there with one singular intent; one eternal purpose …. For me to find and thus, be changed!

My wife, however, was one of the many that raised their hands and when we got home, she asked me to agree to take at least one evening each week to sit down and study the Bible with her. Now, we have studied our Bibles together in the past; had many stirring conversations regarding scripture and its interpretation and often conferred regarding the Sunday school lesson that I teach each week. This, however, was different…and last night, we began in the book of Philippians, one of my favorite books of the New Testament, chocked full of those ‘nuggets” that God has left in our way. So, let me say that for the unforeseeable future, I know that God will be working in me as I take a closer look at His infallible truth and share those insights with you, my brothers and sisters in Christ.

And there is something else that I am sure will occur…my wife and I will be drawn even closer together as we make this journey through God’s Word. Let me encourage you to do likewise. Affirm with your mate that a time of concentrated, consecrated Bible study is necessary in this world’s atmosphere of unrest and disbelief that engulfs us at every turn. God wants His people to stand out and to stand firm….and we can only accomplish this if we are GROUNDED IN HIS WORD!!!

So, join us …commit to take one night a week, turn off the TV and get off the couch, then…. open God’s word, together. The rewards will be immeasurable…you’ll get to know each other better and more importantly, you’ll be drawn closer to the Creator of the Universe…Your Heavenly Father.
Searching the Scriptures…Serving the Savior,


WPQ

No comments: